So much in our world at the moment seems to be doom and gloom: our politics, our ‘news’, the lack of compassion for others. It is hard to break out of the predominant zeitgeist sometimes, and remember that this isn’t the only human condition.
Yet in amongst this, there are always reminders that there is so much more to being human. I was reminded this week in a way I wasn’t really expecting. I went to see “Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”. I don’t really like musicals or Abba’s music, but I sat and soaked up the atmosphere it created: warm, funny and joyful. It made me laugh and cry, engaged me totally, and left me with a feeling of hope and optimism. Why? It told the other side of the story of being human.
Most of the people I know and meet are kind and friendly. They are not selfish or greedy. They may worry about things, but they find their way through it. It’s time we boosted these aspects of being human and began to offset that unpleasant version that seems to infect everything.
If we’re going to change the zeitgeist, we have to start with ourselves. We can be the role modes and demonstrate the best of the human condition.
So let’s start by refusing to take on the story:
- Let’s find the reasons to be optimistic rather than despairing
- Let’s notice the good in people rather than what’s wrong
- Let’s be kind and compassionate rather than critical
- Let’s find reasons to laugh rather than be miserable
- Lets appreciate what we have rather than wish we had more
- And let’s enjoy all the good moments in our lives
It’s time we all told the other side of the story by how we live our lives, and that way we can remind even more people that life can be good.